Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire...

12 July 2008

BUM I AM



Last week our apartment was inspected by the city. In consequence our landlord was sent a long list of things to do to get our apartment "up to code." So, he and his partner decided to get started on it today. Klaron had to work at 8am and I didn't want to be home while they were working on the house. AWKWARD!! I wasn't sure how I was going to spend my day so I packed a few things so I would be prepared for anything: my pillow, bathing suit, goggles, shampoo (to go workout, i don't just pack shampoo), scriptures, sudoku, water and other miscellaneous stuff. When I left the house, I didn't know where I was going to go. I wanted to go back to sleep so I drove around looking for a good park, but I didn't find one. I ended up in the Family Fare (grocery store) parking lot, in the back so no one would see me sleeping in my car. In back of the parking lot there is a swampy creek with about 10 foot high banks up to the parking lot. That is important to know. I actually slept very well, the best you can in a compact car in the drivers seat that doesn't go back. About three hours later I woke up and says to myself, "What now?" As I was deciding about what do next, I saw a Blue Heron down in the creek right in front of my car. It walked into the creek, its long legs hardly made a ripple in the murky black water. As I watched the Heron, it shot its head and long skinny beak into the water and came up with a 6 inch fish flapping in its mouth. The Heron put the fish on the side of the bank and started pecking at it to kill it. Then it would pick it up and shake it, then put it back up on the bank and pecked at it some more. I watched in amazement for about 3 minutes at this Heron and fish. All the while thinking to myself, "How is this Heron going to eat that fish with such a skinny beak?" But then, after the Heron had decided the fish was sufficiently dead, it arranged the fish in its mouth face first, AND THEN ATE IT WHOLE!!!! I was shocked. I sat in my car starring at this Blue Heron, wondering what it was going to next and still awestruck at what it had just done. I wish I had brought my camera along with all the other random things I had in my backpack, but sadly I didn't and the world will never see how a Blue Heron with a long skinny beak ate such a large fish in one gulp and then just walk away looking for its next victim.
So that was my morning as a bum.

1 comment:

Aubrielle said...

That is really cool...and gross. We used to watch herons when we lived in Washington