Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire...

08 July 2008

The Elusive Amy Awesome Has Returned

I have spent the last two weeks in Gridley, California/ Victor, Idaho. Every two years, my mom's side of the family get together for a family reunion. This year the festivities were held in Victor, Idaho. Population 840, nestled below the Great Teton Mountains. We rented the family lodge and everyone hung out for five days. It was really good times. I spent a lot of time with my nieces and nephews who I don’t see very often, we played games and of course ate a lot. I learned a new game called LIARS DICE. It's the game played on Pirates of the Caribbean 2, while Will is on the Flying Dutchman. It’s an addictive game.

Here are a few highlights of my solo vacation to see the familia:

Highlight #1
YELLOWSTONE PARK

This was my first trip inside Yellowstone. I've been around it a few times, but never inside. It was pretty exciting. We drove down the road with both sliding doors of the van open so we could see all the animals. Here is my dad with a herd of buffalo. How many can you count?



A few times we were driving on the roads and be stopped by blockades of empty cars. When this happen we knew there was something to see. Here is a black bear across the stream. Dakota, my nephew was pretty excited.



On the way out of the park, after a long day of animal watching. We thought we had seen all the animals we were going to see, BUT THEN, two cars ahead of us, A GRIZZLY BEAR walked across the street!!! My loving father, opens my sliding door, and I see the Grizzly 20 feet away from me. The Grizzly didn't take any notice of and just meandered down into the trees.



Highlight# 2
Milk can dinner

Everyone was a little sceptical when we heard we were having Milk Can Dinner, take it or leave it! But it turned out very good. Here's my brother dumping the contents of the milk can into a trough, while all us hungry piggies waited.



Highlight #3
My nieces and nephews

Gracie and Landon found a hole in the second floor and decided to entertain us.



Shaylee. The newest addition to the group.



Hunter. Just hanging out by the pool.



Ma and the gang.



Highlight #4
WHITE WATER RAFTING DOWN THE SNAKE RIVER

Me and my unborn baby watched from the sidelines. Here I am at Lunch Counter, waiting for the two boats to come down.



This turned out to be a very memorable trip. The water was 23,000 sfm, translation, REALLY FAST, LOTS OF RAPIDS. My mom had to tie her glasses on with a shoe lace so she would still have them after the first big wave.



Because the water was so fast, both boats missed the out point and were swept down river. They eventually made it to the side and clung to trees and roots so they wouldn't go any further down river.



That day we all experienced our own Good Samaritan story. A girl on a boat in front of us had seen the boats miss the out point and ran to see if she could help. She brought with her ropes so we could get our people out of the boats and the freezing water. Each person had to climb up a steep 35 feet bank to get out of the river. We don't know what would have happen if Lauren (our Good Samaritan) hadn't help some strangers.



Highlight #5
The Rexburg Temple

Finally finished, we drove up to Temple Hill. Here's me and Grandpa Norm and Grandma Verda trying to find a little shade from the hot sun.


3 comments:

Lacey* said...

Hey Amy! We barely missed each other! I'm glad you had a fun time..maybe we can hang out next time...

Jon. Jamie. Ethan. Lynsi. Katie. said...

Yeah A new post! I must say...I LOVE YOUR NEW BACKGROUND! It's gorgeous!!

I miss all the fun family reunions in the summer time in good ol'Utah! We have at least 3 of them just in the summer time! White water rafting huh, that sounds adventuresome! Glad that you played it safe and just watched! I bet you were dying to hope in a raft now weren't you! :0

Jon P said...

That sounds like so much fun! I'm sure you had a great time. I love that pirate's dice game...Jon and I played it all the time when we were dating.